Instructor: MARIA SIMS
Welcome to 1st grade! My name is Maria Sims. This is my 33rd year of teaching. I taught 4th grade (5 years) and kindergarten (5 years) in Beaumont. This is my 23rd year teaching first grade at Woodcrest. I absolutely LOVE teaching. I have been married to my husband, Greg, for 31 years. We have two children and a beautiful grandaughter.
Please sign up for my
To join, send a text to
with the message
1. Listen and follow all directions.
2. Work during all work times.
3. Be respectful to yourself and others.
4. Keep hands, feet, objects, and hurtful words to yourself.
5. Walk quietly in the building.
1. Spelling Tests will be given each Friday. I will send a list home each Monday in your child’s daily folder so that you can help your child prepare. Sentence dictation will begin after the first few units.
2. Envision Math is the math series that we will use this year. Your child will have a math sheet to do for homework Mon.-Thurs. It will be in their daily folder.
3. HMH is the new ELAR adoption we are using this year. It will be a learning experience for the teachers and the students.
4. Behavior is handled in a positive manner. Students are rewarded for making good choices with their behavior. Each child begins the day on purple- “Ready to Learn.” Students will be warned if a rule is broken. If the behavior continues, the student will move their magnet to the next color (yellow, orange, and then red). Documentation of your child’s behavior will be sent home daily on their behavior sheet.
5. Our class will go to the library once a week. Our library day is on Thursday. Your child will be able to check one book out at a time. There are open library times if your child needs a new book before our class goes again. Books will need to be returned on time so that new ones may be checked out each week.
6. We have 30 minutes for lunch. Please feel free to join your child for lunch. Our lunch time is 11:20-11:50.
7. Daily Folders will be sent home Monday-Friday. I will send homework home Monday-Thursday. Please go over your child’s homework and check for notes sent from school. If you need to send a note, place it in the folder. I check the folders each day. Homework not completed and papers not signed will cost the students recess. (The first few weeks I will give warnings).
8. Weekly Folders (Purple) will be sent home each TUESDAY. The folder will contain work from the previous week. Any paper with a grade on it is recorded in my grade book. If a paper has a grade of 70 or below, it must be signed and placed back in the folder. Work that we completed or checked together will have a check mark on it rather than a grade. Please review the work and sign the enclosed sheet so that I will know your child brought the folder home to you.
I am looking forward to working with your child this school year. I know it is going to be a fantastic year!
Please feel free to call or email any questions or concerns. If you would like to come in for a conference, please call and make an appointment. My conference time is 8:30-9:30 each day.
Mrs. Sims' Schedule
8:30-9:30 PE/Music (Conference Period)
1:00-1:30 LCC Time
1:40-2:40 SAT Time
Conference Time: 8:30-9:30
School Number: 724-2309 EXT:4643