Incredible Class of 2022
Senior Counselor's Corner
Welcome to Senior Year!! My name is Rachel Lawson, and I am so excited that our Incredible Class of 2022 has made it to SENIOR YEAR. I will be updating this webpage with events and scholarship opportunities, but I will also be using student's school email and Remind as a way to stay in touch and send out important updates and information. The code to join our Remind is @9c2b2k.
January Updates (last updated 1/20/22)
Scholarship Applications Ready to Pick up in the Counselors’ Office:
- The Motiva Excellence in Education Scholarship – Extended Due Date Friday, January 28
- Local Scholarship Application – preferred due date of February 4th
- Mid-Jefferson County Retired School Personnel Scholarship – Due March 10.
- Port Neches Masonic Lodge Scholarship – Due by March 25.
- Capital Farm Credit Youth Scholarship program – Due April 6, 2022 (applicant responsible for mailing or delivering submission)
- Chief Leslie E. McCoy Memorial Scholarship – Due April 11, 2022
- Will be awarded to a PNG senior who plans to continue their education for a career in the Criminal Justice field.
- Lisa Messina Colten Memorial Scholarship – Due March 11, 2022 (mailed by applicant)
- Students must present Italian Heritage to qualify.
Online Application Scholarship Opportunities:
TPC Group Mark of Excellence Scholarship – Due February 1.
- Available to all graduating seniors planning to pursue a two or four-year degree in a related STEM field.
2022 Investing in YOU Scholarship Program! Mobiloil Credit Union -- Deadline Friday, March 4
We the Students Scholarship Essay Contest – Bill of Rights Institute – Deadline Apr 15, 2022
SPE-GCS Scholarship – Due February 20.
- The Society of Petroleum Engineers Gulf Coast Section Scholarship is a scholarship for students pursuing a career in the energy industry. https://www.spegcs.org/committees/scholarship-internship/
Eber Ephlin Scholarship – Due March 1st.
- The Ephlin Scholarship is a need-based scholarship for all new incoming freshman students planning to attend a Lamar institution who are products of the Port Neches-Groves Independent School District or resident of the Griffin Park area in the Port Arthur Independent School District. Selected recipients must attend a Lamar institution and maintain a minimum G.P.A. of 2.50 to remain eligible.
Tom and Mona Dearing Regents Memorial Scholarship in Industrial Engineering
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Scholarship Application deadline is quickly approaching! Due February 1st!
- Students can find information and a link to the application on this page: https://www.rodeohouston.com/Educational-Support/Scholarships/Apply
Abbott and Fenner Scholarship Program
- Application Process – Students will submit an essay on the topic that appears on the scholarship page of our web site: http://www.abbottandfenner.com/scholarships.htm
Technology Addiction Awareness Scholarship - Deadline January 30 (Essay Required)
TSI Registration – Test Date, January 26 – Deadline to Register January 21
We will offer the TSI on January 26 at no cost to you! The TSI or Texas Success Initiative is meant to evaluate college readiness and will be required for registration purposes to most colleges and universities.
To Register you MUST complete the following two steps:
- 1st-CLICK HERE to complete the Pre-Assessment Activity (PAA)
- 2nd-Click the link to register with our school: https://forms.gle/3PyYfmE5jK2d3TLbA
Sign up for the ACT (4/21) and SAT (3/2) in the counselor's office now. $36 each. You get one free test while in high school. This is on a first come- first served basis.
Senior Pictures Make-up Day – February 25, 2022, 1st Period
Awards Ceremony – May 18, 20226:00
Heading to any of the Lamar System institutions?? Eber W. Eplin was a longtime resident of the Port Neches/Groves area of Southeast Texas and a strong supporter of Lamar institutions of higher education. He established a trust fund on behalf of students upon his death in 1992. Read more about Mr. Ephlin.
Must be an incoming freshman at one of the four Lamar institutions in Southeast Texas. Must be a graduate of Port Neches-Groves ISD or a resident of the Griffin Park area in the Port Arthur ISD. Needs-based award.
$2,500 for Fall/Spring semester and $1,000 for summer (amount could be less if tuition, fees, and incidentals are reduced by the Board of Regents), renewable annually based on continued recipient's eligibility and availability of funds.
Must submit an application, personal statement and a letter or recommendation from a high school counselor, principal or superintendent. Must maintain a minimum 2.5 grade point average as a full-time college student.
Fill out the Eber Ephlin Scholarship Application
- Here are two national scholarships that you might want to look into! Remember that Going Merry has many opportunites listed such as these!
- Upcoming School Day Test Dates:
- TSI: January 26 - Registration will be sent through student email on January 10.
- SAT: March 2 - Registration TBD
Planning to major in journalism, English, creative writing, photography, or radio-television-film? Here is a scholarship for you!! This opportunity available to any senior graduating from a Texas high school (public or private) that are interested in attending a University of Texas System university and studying one of the listed fields.
The Mark W. Allen Memorial Scholarship is being offered by the East Texas Communities Foundation in Tyler, TX. It will be awarded for one year at $1,000.
The Smith-Hutson Scholarship Program is dedicated to providing educational opportunities to prospective students who can demonstrate financial need and have academic and leadership potential. This scholarship is available to potential Lamar University students as well as, but not limited to, Sam Houston State and Stephen F. Austin Universities. Here is a link to the Lamar webpage for additional information: https://www.lamar.edu/
- I’m pleased to share a new scholarship opportunity, the Ray Stoesser Memorial Scholarship. In partnership with the US Rice Producers Association, the Stoesser family is offering a $5000 scholarship to one deserving high school senior or current college student who is interested in or is currently pursuing a career in an agriculture-related field. In addition to the monetary award, the selected recipient will serve as a student ambassador for USRPA in 2022 with an expectation of participating in at least two activities during the calendar year. The recipient will be invited to participate in various USRPA activities, included but not limited to Field Days, legislative activities, Texas Rice Council meetings, conferences, and more. The application deadline is Wednesday, December 15. Finalists will be interviewed by the selection committee via Zoom in January 2022. The application is available at www.usriceproducers.com/scholarship.
- Specific criteria for selection: Applicants should have the intent of pursuing a career in an agriculture related field. Applications will be accepted from high school seniors, college students, and/or college graduate students.
- On November 1, the 2022-23 Scholarship Programs opened up for Undocumented students who have DACA, TPS, or who arrived in the country before November 1, 2016, came to the US before the age of 16, and otherwise meet the DACA eligibility criteria. Click the link to learn more!
- The Motiva Excellence in Education Scholarship applications are now available in the Counselors' Office. Applications are due by January 14.
- The local scholarship application is available in the Counselors' Office and due by February 1st.
- We are pleased to announce the TPC Group Mark of Excellence Scholarship Application process is now OPEN and available online. The online application will make the process easier and more efficient for students to apply. https://learnmore.scholarsapply.org/tpcmarkofexcellence
- This is available to all graduating seniors planning to pursue a two or four-year degree in a related STEM field. The application deadline is February 1, 2022.
Here are a couple of quick reminders and several college/scholarship opportunities that have come across my desk or email in the last couple weeks.
- There are less than 20 spots open for the SAT School Day test on October 28. Use this link to register today! https://forms.gle/eUe1NY5jKwXc4pLz8
- The ASVAB will be offered here on campus next week, October 20 during the school day. Click on this link to register; deadline to register will be Monday 10/18. https://forms.gle/PeWNjQE3dkvKezXW8
- TSI will be offered November 17. Registration will open the first week of November.
Continue working on the FAFSA! Once you and your parents have completed the application and you have received a confirmation page email, please forward it to me in a separate email. email@example.com
This is how I am going to keep track of this graduation requirement!
Scholarships and College information:
- Rice University: There's still time for your students to attend our Virtual Information Session for students from Texas! They'll hear an admission counselor for their region talk about Rice's academic programs, groundbreaking research, vibrant student life and the affordability of Rice. We hope to see you and your students there! Monday, October 18, 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. https://riceadmission.rice.edu/register/?id=dc1ebd34-0e1f-430d-a819-8e658277dc46
- Interested in the University of Texas at Austin? Read about this unique opportunity for a Full Ride and sign up for one of the informational sessions: https://www.texasexes.org/scholarships/forty-acres-scholars-program
- Lamar University Preview: Cardinal Boo! This event is for future cardinals to learn more about all Lamar University has to offer. We will have campus tours, an academic showcase, student organizations and several informational sessions. All students are invited and welcome to register for this event. Your students are what makes this event great, and we would greatly appreciate your help in getting the word out. https://www.lamar.edu/admissions/cardinal-view/index.html
- Voice of Democracy Scholarship: Deadline October 31 https://www.vfw.org/community/youth-and-education/youth-scholarships
- US Intelligence Careers: Scholarship and Education opportunities https://www.intelligencecareers.gov/icstudents.html
- Heisman High School Scholarship: Deadline October 19 https://heismanscholarship.com/?utm_source=Past%20Reviewers%20Email%202&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2021_Past_Reviewer
- Going Merry Register using this link: https://www.goingmerry.com/c/rachell-r85033
Quick Reference Guide
Apply for College:
Texas Public College: www.goapplytexas.org
Private Colleges or Colleges out of state: sendedu.org, commonapp.org or coalitionforcollegeaccess.org
Register for College Entrance Exams:
TSI (Texas Success Initiative) – offered Fall and Spring at PNGHS; also offered at college testing centers
Request a transcript:
Two black binders, located in the Counseling Office, are divided alphabetically by last name A-L and M-Z. Choose the binder that has your name in it, find the paper with your name on top of it, and fill out the paper. You will need to state if you want us to send it by TRex (digitally) or if you need a paper copy. Once you fill this out, place it in the basket next to the binders. You may return at the end of the school day to pick up your transcript if you requested a paper copy. *Students get two free transcripts (digitally or printed) and after the two free ones, they will cost $1 per transcript requested.
I will post scholarship opportunities that I am aware of on the Senior Webpage, and I will also email some of them to your school email. Please check the colleges website that you are interested in for college specific scholarships. Please check your school email regularly as this will be the primary source for communication. *Remember, you should never have to pay to apply for a scholarship.
Letters of Recommendation:
Many scholarships and or colleges will request letters of recommendation. I will be sending a google form through student email for you to complete if you need me to write a letter of recommendation for you. This will help me to include all details about you and personalize your letter. Please give at minimum two weeks to complete your letter of recommendation. Please do NOT wait until the day before it is due to ask me to write you a letter of recommendation.
NCAA: If you are interested in Division 1 or 2 college sports, then you will need to create an account with NCAA at http://www.ncaa.org
Financial Aid: Opens October 1st- studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa